Thursday, January 23, 2014

Waking Up Pregnant! by Mira Lyn Kelly

Synopsis:
The night that changed everything!
Waitress Darcy Penn is the smart, sensible type--flirting with the extremely cure guy in the bar just isn't her style. As for ending up in his hotel room? Definitely not! Sneaking out while he's in the bathroom to avoid post-sex awkwardness? Much more like it.
If Darcy has stuck around, Jeff Norton could have told her about their "epic latex fail." So he shouldn't be quite so shocked when months later, Darcy turns up at his classy L.A. office and throws up in his wastepaper basket. She's got a bad case of morning sickness, and she's here to find out what he's going to do about it.

Review:
I have been reading more and more romance books lately, I think all the paranormal romance I read is making me seek out romance on a level that doesn't involve the paranormal element and resembles real life a little bit more. I am not quite sure what made me pick this book out of the thousands of other romance books out there, but I think the title did it for me, "Waking Up Pregnant" was just calling out for me to read it.

So most romances involve meeting, getting to know each other, recovering from some kind of obstacle in the way of their love, and then having their happily ever after. This book kind of throws that formula to the wind, and goes at things completely opposite of their natural order. I think that it's something that I actually really enjoyed about the book, that it doesn't follow the so called traditional way a romance should take place.

A one night stand ending up with a baby as the result, I'm sure it happens frequently, so it made for a pretty believable story line. I actually really liked both characters. In a lot of romances I tend to favor one over the other, but this book had me liking both people pretty much on equal ground.

Darcy is a stubborn, strong-willed, independent woman who has survived a lot of things throughout her life that made her into the person she is today. But having a baby with a total stranger results in her having to not just reevaluate her life, but also change the way she reacts to things as well as learn to accept help from other people. It's really nice to watch her grow into a person who is ready for love and not so closed off.

As for Jeff, the author kind of writes him in the beginning as the perfect recipe for a playboy, he's rich, good looking, successful, travels a lot, and is confident with women. All the classic markers of playboy. But he never really comes off that way, there is something much deeper to him, seems like he was raised right. He likes a challenge, and Darcy was certainly a challenge, but even months afterward when she shows up to tell him they are going to have a baby, he is a stand up guy. He doesn't shove her aside, or make her feel like she did something wrong, he goes completely into how do we make this work for the baby mode. The thing I think I like the most about Jeff, is through the whole book he never pushes Darcy too hard, sure he convinces her to go along with some of his plans, but they all come from a good place. And in the end he respects her and her wishes and opinions, which to me counts for a lot in a man.

The love story itself between the two of them is actually pretty sweet, and it plays out quite nicely. If I had one complaint about the book it would be that there aren't a lot of other characters. Darcy and Jeff each seem to have one other person to talk to who make appearances in the book, but there really isn't cast of characters in the book, which I think results in their being a little less depth to the book. Also the book does jump around a bit, in terms of time, sometimes a little more than I would have liked, but not enough to detract from the reading experience. Overall, I enjoyed the read, read it in one sitting, and think it's a nice little escape when you are looking for a romance to read.

   


No comments:

Post a Comment